Friday, July 31, 2009

Hotel Foltice - Open for Business

It certainly has been an interesting summer since the arrival of Dylan Scott. Our sleep deprivation comes in waves, with some days feeling great and other days feeling completely worthless.

Dana normally doesn’t know what day it is, she only knows time (1, 4, 7, and 10 o’clock.) She only knows it is Saturday/Sunday because Oprah and Ellen are not on TV. Those days, she makes me do an Ellen ‘dance party’ so she can get her fill. This is really sad for three reasons:

  1. Dana enjoys watching me do it.

  2. I know what a ‘dance party’ is after watching Ellen every day on vacation/paternity leave.
  3. I am actually pretty good at it, even down to the drop into the chair fake out back to the dance. Dana goes wild (with laughter) when I straddle our coffee table and dance across it. (If you don’t know what I am talking about, good for you. That means you are probably doing something more productive at 5pm.)

We have been able to go out and about with Dylan. This means running to a restaurant while he is sleeping in between feedings and going to church on Sunday morning. This actually works pretty well and gets us out of the house.

We have also done trivia night the last two Wednesday’s. A first place finish last week made it even better to be back. You might be competitive when winning trivia makes you happy for the next two days.

We won even after blowing the first question: Which 20th century president was known as ‘Dutch’ and the “Great Communicator?” My brother Pip, who was in town with his girlfriend Laura, immediately answered FDR very confidently. So confidently, that we reluctantly went along with it. When the answer was Ronald Reagan, Pip suddenly lost a ride home and was dead to us until he redeemed himself. He did, bringing him back into the family and gaining transportation for the night.

By the way, there is a running joke about walking home if you blow too many questions. I have a feeling this will happen and will make for a great blog post.

Hotel Foltice has suddenly entered into peak season. We had the aforementioned Pip and Laura were here for a week last week, Dana’s Mom is back in town for a few more days, Dana’s sister, Robyn, is coming in Mid August. We have some other unconfirmed reservations as well. We say, bring it on.

The way that I am able to sell Dylan feedings and Oscar walks makes me think that maybe I should be in sales. Somehow, I try to make our guests believe that I am doing them a favor by letting them feed Dylan at 10pm or walk Oscar at 7am. By the way, Pip, if you are reading this, you owe me big time for letting you and Laura take care of Dylan while Dana and I went on a date.

I hope everyone is having a great summer.

Here are Laura, Dana and Pip with our trivia answer sheet and $30 gift card! Go Trivia Newton John!


Laura with Dylan.


Unky Pip with a sleeping Dylan.


No comments: